Friday 20 January 2006

Challenge

I challenge you to pick ten wierd books out of your bookshelf and explain why you havent gotten rid of them. So wrote Tekno-Kekko at his blog, after he had been challenged to answer to do something quite different. However, I found this one particulary amusing, so I think Ill do it. Not ten, however. Tekno-Kekko is probaply over 50, and Im little over 20, so I dont have as much wierd stuff as he does. Plus I moved only year ago, so most of the stuff I could not explain to myself were left behind. Such as my mormor's (mom's mom) old schoolbooks. Im going back to get them, however, one of these days. They are very entertaining.
So I will settle for five entries. Can you, dear readers (all two of you) do the same?

Helene Schjerfbeck - Piirustuksia ja akvarelleja (drawnings and akvarels). I loaned this from my farmor (dad's mom), who has since lost her ability to read or hold books, so I havent bothered to return it. The name of the book is quite misleading. I thought it would have her best art, but it mostly has stuff that "hasnt gotten the attention it requires". In other words, most of those pictures are shit. And Helene S. was very talented woman. I would hope to have tenth of the skill she had! It also has lots of stupid text about said artist's life and why she did the art shown.

North American Indians by E.S.Curtis. Photos from early 20th century. They are pretty funny and depressing at the same time. I think my dad gave it to me as a keepsake, when he moved and couldnt take it with him. I think he thought it would be of interest to me.

IKEA catalogue. I have never even visited IKEA. I have no idea why I have this in my bookshelf.

Dezra's Quest. Dragonlance. I think I got this dirtcheap somewhere. And thats good reason to get anything. Now, I do have other Dragonlance-books on my bookshelf, but this one I couldnt even finish, and I have finished some really sucky books earlier on.

Dragon Knights. Few years ago, when I was still new to manga, I bought the first ten books in this series. I think I was confident that the book was the highest peek of civilization or something.
Its rubbish. Complete shit. I dont know what I was thinking. I however, did use 150 euros on the books, so I cant just throw them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment