Tuesday 3 July 2007

What blogs do you read?

I promised myself that as I don't really have any other commitments I would at least practice my writing by writing five texts per week, either to Blogger or to some other thing.
Last week I did four; the previous three blog-entries plus a review for comics-page. I don't know if I have mentioned this earlier but I aim to improve myself to the point where people actually pay to publish my texts. Not because of the money but for the knowledge that I'm actually good enough in something that people pay to get it.

I know I don't have that many readers (two, three?) and only one person who actually comments without prompting (thanks Vlad, you're a true friend) but yeah, that's my goal.
Anyway, I know the entries about problems I have had have been rather boring, and I thank your patience if you have actually read them thru.


So, I have been using Google Reader. It's the first RSS-reader I have ever used, and without knowing anything of the alternative ways to home on the subject, it beats checking the webpages one by one hands down. If you read this and don't use RSS-reader, check this one. It will change your life. Trust me.

Anyway, what blogs do I have on the reader? Currently I have 16 blogs. Some of them update very slowly (ergo, I wouldn't bother to check the webpage because chances would be good that there wouldn't be anything new there) but that doesn't cause any problems with this piece of code.

Anyway, what I do have on my Reader are;

5G - a blog about technology. The bloggers are Helsingin Sanomat-newspaper's tech-journalists.

Beaucoup Kevin - a blog about comics. Honestly, there was a time I didn't like this blog at all. Too many photos of "me-with-my-friends-with-funny-texts" but those have gone. Also; new layout and amusing old comics-panels.

Blog@Newsarama - A blog about comics/nerd-news. Rather funny and sometimes very enlightening.

Boing Boing. Eh, you know Boing Boing. One of the most read blogs in the world. Tech, tech-politics, nifty things and other such stuff.

Dave in Suomi. Only added this little while ago. Don't really have anything to say about this one yet, expect it gives outsider's perspective to familiar things, which is always welcome.

Dave's Longbox - a guy reviews old comics with very hilarious phrases, which makes you remember why comics are awesome in other ways than just because of plot. This blog has made me appreciate "so bad it's good" comics and "radness" factors, which earlier escaped me entirely. Thanks Dave.

Finland for Thought - American talks about the Finnish system and Finnish news. Outsider perspective plus life philosophy which is quite far apart from mine. Again, helps keep perspective and keeps things on my radar that I wouldn't otherwise. You know about the thing about reading only things that please you? That's excellent way to round up in cocoon and miss some important things.

Jyrki Kasvi - My representative in the Parliament. Green but has brains. While this is off topic, I'm often annoyed by people who complain but don't offer solutions. This one has his feet on the ground and actually understands modern technology. Alas, this is so rare I have to mention it..

Katuoja - Finnish comics/meta-blog kept by my...associates.. and which is very well written. Wish I were half this good.

Life in Silico - Exellent when it (1) updates and (2) doesn't talk about coding. And I'm not saying this because I count Vlad as my friend, and not just of the internet-variety.

Paleo-Future -A blog about past visions of the future. Very charming. Like everything else made in the past decades, even futures age and grow old. It's amusing, charming and somehow so innocent.

Peter David - Book/comics/telly/what-else author. Has sometimes pieces of information on the site that fall under "good to know" category.

Rajatapauksia - a blog by culture reporter of Helsingin Sanomat. Fantasy and scifi as seen in comics, games, novels, music etc.

Retromania - a blog by reporter of Helsingin Sanomat. About past futures.

Teräsmies elää - a Finnish blog about Superman. Updates seldom, but when it does it is very good. The texts handle like engineer's blueprints, which is very amusing.

The Beat - Comics news site, which updates (1) too often and (2) with information I don't need. On feed because sometimes it hits gold.

Town of Ponte Corvo - blog about the politics of Israel, mainly. I disagree with the author regularly but he writes and argues well, which is something that's always welcome.

No links because writing this on laptop and adding them is a nuisance. Hope you can manage without. If I have readers, might they do similar listing? It's always nice to know what other people read..

No comments:

Post a Comment