Wednesday 23 May 2007

What the hell is wrong with organized religions?

I have been thinking of religions lately. Partly because of this entry (I was linked by my friend Vlad, who apparently has rather good grasp on things I like), partly because couple of Jehovah's Witnesses came to visit the Residence the other day. I was not around, but apparently they knocked on each flat door and asked from which countries the inhabitants are from. They then gave Watchtowers and Awake!-magazines in the languages of the countries mentioned. So now I have religious magazines in Finnish and English on the kitchen table.

I don't much base for organized religion. I trust the scientific approach as far as our normal life goes, and I quite agree with the idea of evolution and Newtonian physics (yes, I know they only apply as long as the objects travel slower than 10% of speed of light). When we step outside the area that can be observed and verified directly by our senses, I get a bit unsure. They say that it all started with a Big Bang, which seems like a sensible conclusion from the known facts. The same goes for post-Einstein physics. They say it allows pretty much everything from time travel to reaching distant stars in days. This may very well be so, and I do know that CD-players would be impossible to manufacture without Einstein's theories.

But when you start to think about it, REALLY think about it; the universe is so huge and big and infinite. There are no borders but it expands all the time. And every material is coming from the same spot and has just spread around. There may be evidence to support it - and I do want to believe - but it's too big. And the same goes for the religious alternatives.

But to be honest, I'm not very concerned. Some days I feel that there might be something out there, and on some days I don't. In general, I feel that it's more important to know what's inside than outside. And whatever you believe, they are your beliefs and don't really belong to anyone else. If I discover something that works to me, the last thing I want to hear is that I'm wrong. Incidentally, Lutheran church (at least in Finland) is pretty cool with the subject. Apparently they (we?) have priests who don't believe in Hell. And priests that only believe in God as a symbol for human goodness. And priests that don't believe that women can be priests, which pretty well shows the other side of the tolerance-argument, but I digress.

I do read about other religions; believes often tell something important about the culture and the person itself. And so I was reading Finnish Awake! at the kitchen table, while I was eating my breakfast müsli. I admit that I dont know much about Jehovahs Witnesses, other than they go from door to door and nobody seems to like them. It's all very vague.

There was a longish article in Young people ask-series titled Why is it wrong to date in secret?. It was basically the moral story of Jessica, with additional quotes and explanations from the Bible. Jessica's story goes as follows;

Jessica had to do a choice. Everything started when one of her classmates, Jeremy, told he was interested in her. Jessica says: "He was very good looking, and my friends said that you will never find a guy as honourable as him. Many girls were interested in him, but he only had eyes for me".

After a time, Jeremy asked Jessica out. She tells: "I explained to him that I am a Jehovah's Witness, and that I could not date anyone who was not a Witness. But then Jeremy got an idea; we could date without telling my parents.

[...] Surprisingly, Jessica accepts Jeremy's idea. "I was sure that if I dated him, I could make him love Jehovah", she says. [Then] Jessica [...] heard about another Christian girl in the same situation. "When I found out that she had ended her relationship, I knew what I had to do", Jessica says. Was ending the relationship easy? No! "He was the only boy who I had ever truly cared about", Jessica says. "I cried every day for weeks."

Jessica also knew something else: she loved Jehovah, and even if she had gotten sidetracked, she genuinely wanted to do what was right. In time, the pain went away. Jessica tells; "my relationship with Jehovah is now better than ever. I am really thankful that he gives to us at the right time the kind of guidance we need."

(From Herätkää!, June 2007)
The girl cried for weeks and imagine what the boy felt like. I don't really know what the teaching of the story was - other than "cults are bad for you, mmkay?" - But I'd like you to imagine what it would be like if there is no Witness community on the area. The article also mentions that dating is forbidden altogether if the people aren't old enough to marry and prepared to do so after relatively short dating.

Religion is what you make of it, what you believe in. You can try to convince others to believe in the same way, but it's rather inhuman to make people live in a way that makes them unhappy. Denying something purely because somebody says you should does sound a bit perverse for me, just because somebody may have probably said something against it, possibly, 3 000 years ago. As such I really like the relaxed attitude of the ground-level Lutheran church; the higher ups are not as much fun (few years ago they fired an employee for being gay).

I am, of course, a product of my society, and of my generation. People talk about traditions, values and history. Personally I think that for them to carry on, they should have some other things for going for them than just age. And not everything old is bad, but that story sends chills down my spine. Actually, I felt pretty bad for few days. The worst thing is that they didn't even think Jeremy's feelings were worth exploring. The only important thing is that Jessica had gotten closer to God!

5 comments:

  1. Why do you believe in whatever it is you believe? Is it because it makes you feel warm and fussy inside, because it gives meaning to an otherwise bleak existence, gives order to society? Or maybe because you are one of those seekers of truth, that will not stop at the impasse of faith and even agnosticism to get to the bottom of the universe itself?

    It seems strange that people are willing to take their reason only up to a certain point, and then give it all up so easily as if it never existed. Science is based on investigation, while religion is not. Why someone who has never investigated anything besides old books filled with spectacular stories should be given any credence in regards to the real world is beyond me.

    I furthermore don't understand analysis of religions when it comes to what people should believe in.

    Religion, if it has any merit, should not be treated as a buffet for moral theories or how-to-become-happier schemes, but as a road to enlightenment.

    If God is as Jehovah's Witnesses depict him, then surely Jessica has done the right thing. It is only possible to entertain other conclusions to that short story if they're wrong, plain and simple. This is not a matter of being happy. Monotheistic religions aren't about being happy, they're about doing the bidding of God. If you put any stock at all in the Bible, and have any sort of belief in the Judeo-Christian God, this should be obvious.

    If God exists, then yes, the most important thing is to get closer to him, since it's your immortal soul that is at stake here.

    It is only my conviction that God doesn't exist that allows me to say that this is all hogwash - that we live only one life, and being happy isn't such a bad thing.

    What's your excuse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good questions, that I might have given answers in the text if I would have thought so far.
    I'm not a scientist. I know how to count velocities and how to calculate how much space things take, but that's about it.

    As far as I can observe things, science works. But when we start to go into distant past before Earth existed, or to the edges of space... they start to sound stories to me, and not science. I can't understand the calculations, I can't understand the reasoning.. and finally; I can't understand the conclusions. And conclusions are about the only things with this I'm familiar with. In such things, science starts to blur into religion.

    It's very easy to think that once upon a time all the things were in one spot, and then something mystical happened and BAM! it went. Or that God made it happen. Sometimes, when I'm really into black humour, I like to entertain the "Last Thursday" theory.

    To me, religion can be divided into two parts; explanations to far-off things and to things that let me function from day to day. It might be strange, but to me, these two parts are not very connected. The latter part might not feel very religious, but I sit down and try to keep my mind focused with mental exercises. It keeps me going, from always looking at just the obvious things.

    To make long story short, if there is God, he has better things to do than to place any attention to me. As I said, beliefs tell about their holders.

    To me, that story was about a brainwashed girl cutting out a change of real happiness (and probably also dooming a nice guy to Prozac).
    If God is as JW say he is, they are doing right. But there are billion+ one-God believers in the world, and there is nothing I know that says that says that one of them is above the rest.
    Personally I think God would first and foremost want everyone to be happy.

    I think I'm doing pretty well. The fun thing about Lutheran faith is that it isn't very big about doom and gloom, and allows a lot of space to interpretations.

    [ I realize this doesn't make much sense. I have never bothered to form my beliefs into so many words. Does feel a bit funny to do so now. ]

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUMMARIES OF NEARLY 500 JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES LAWSUITS & COURT CASES


    The following website summarizes over 165 lawsuits filed by Jehovah's Witnesses against their Employers, and/or incidents involving problem JW Employees:

    EMPLOYMENT ISSUES UNIQUE TO JEHOVAH'S WITNESS EMPLOYEES

    http://jwemployees.bravehost.com


    The following website summarizes 300 U.S. court cases and lawsuits affecting children of Jehovah's Witness Parents, including 100+ cases where the JW Parents refused to consent to life-saving blood transfusions for their dying children:

    DIVORCE, BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS, AND OTHER LEGAL ISSUES AFFECTING CHILDREN OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

    http://jwdivorces.bravehost.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe for you it is easy to imagine that all things were once in one tiny spot. But it took many tens of years of research to reach such a conclusion, which was, at first, not widely accepted it all. Ironically, the term "Big Bang" was first used pejoratively by Fred Hoyle, a very famous astronomer who proposed a different model of the universe.

    There are many observational evidence for the Big Bang model, which I'm sure you can read up on the Wikipedia, and there are tons of popular science books on the subject. One simple (to understand) piece of evidence for it is that we observe that all galaxies are moving (and accelerating) away from each other. It serves to reason, then, that there was a point for them to begin accelerating from.

    In essence, the Big Bang theory is not much different than that of the drifting of continents, for example. Its conclusions may be more fantastic and difficult for our human mind to understand, but that's a fault of our mind, for the theory and the math behind it are rock-solid. (Not something you can say about religious explanations of any sort...)

    Equating this to religion is a sort of intellectual laziness.

    But this is a bit irrelevant - I agree with you that the explanatory side of religion is a sort of side-effect, not its main part. Religion, after all, defines a social order first. Still, if you accept it as such, you can't ignore the implications, namely all the supernatural beliefs and authoritative judgments that come with it. And you can't compare religions without comparing said implications as well.

    And what on earth makes you believe that if there is a God, he somehow wants our happiness? I'd say that if he exists, he's a malevolent one with a twisted sense of humor, considering humanity's situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "And what on earth makes you believe that if there is a God, he somehow wants our happiness? I'd say that if he exists, he's a malevolent one with a twisted sense of humor, considering humanity's situation."

    I just always thought that the 'considering humanity's situation' was part of the 'does not much care what happens', and the 'happiness' part is more like.. you meet some random person in the lift and spend half a minute chatting. And then you say goodbye and wish in your mind good luck.. but not caring what happens to him after the immediate five minutes ("Oh shit, I was just talking to him.." vs. "I hear that the guy I briefly met at the elevator two years ago died in chain car crash. Pass the sugar will you?").

    ReplyDelete