Saturday 3 September 2005

Alfred J. Kwak



Remember Alfred? I remember. When I was kid, roughly 7-10 years, this came out from telly. The story was strange; the first ten episodes were about his childhood, and the next episodes - I dont know how many, but there were many, maybe around 40? -about him as adult. I have faint impression that Alfred would have been journalist by trade. He lived in Waterland (Vesimaa, in finnish), which was fashioned to be like Netherlands. From there, he traveled to around world, and even got to visit space. Maybe he timetraveled as well? Or am I thinking the later Moomin episodes? Can't remember. Episodes that have permanently been burned on my mind, included one where he visits oil-trilling comblex in the middle of the sea, and finds that the ancient civilisation of dodos lives in the bottom, encased in glass-domes. Or the episode where he visits Egypt and is lost in a pyramid... I would have impression that there lived an ancient (goodlooking) honest-to-god female pharaoh there too.. but I may remember wrong.

Or how Alfred's old classmate ends up as dictator.. If I remember correctly, he is a crow, and damn proud of the fact. Sadly, he has a secret; he is only halfblooded, and his mouthpiece is infact not black, but dyes it to make it look so..
I also remember he would have visited in Africa, in country with apartheid going on, and would return from there with his new girlfriend (picture).

The mole in the picture is the man who raised Alfred, after he was orphaned (I think his parents got swept in the sea).

Great show. I wonder, would the animation still be as cool as I remember it, the storylines as daring? As I know remember some of the plots, there might be good change that the show had political agenda going on. It wasnt Disney-program; it was japanese production based on some storybooks made in Netherlands. Would be really interesting to see some episodes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment